Tuesday 13 October 2009

Hereke Carpets are famous in all around the world!

Hereke is located at the northern edge of İzmit Bay near İstanbul. Hereke is recognized for the finest hand knotted carpets in the world. Hereke designs weren't inspired by the motifs and compositions of traditional Turkish carpets, but also by motifs of Persia and Mameluke Egypt. Fine Hereke hand knotted carpets were presented as gifts to the royal families of Japan, Russia, Germany and England. The materials used are silk, a combination of wool and cotton and sometimes gold or silver threads. The Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid I founded Hereke Imperial Manufacture in 1841 to produce all the textiles for his Dolmabahce Palace on the Marmara Sea...

3 comments:

Pilar Pérez said...

Definitely Turkish carpets are famous around the world and I'm very much interested in seeing them and knowing more about them.

Mònica Villanueva Benet said...

I came to Turkey more than ten years ago. I spent almost three weeks visiting different places. I was very young then and we didn't travel on a package tour. We used public transportation.
I loved Istambul and the Capadocia. I took a carpet with me as a souvenir from my trip. Obviously, not like the ones you find in luxurious palaces. However, it made my living room cozier. Since then, I am very interested in the designs and the meanings of colours etc..

Özlem Baloğlu Efe said...

Hi Tansel,
I'm so pleased to see Hereke carpets on the blog.Thank you for your contrıbutıon..