Thursday 5 November 2009

The mural in Olsztyn

A few weeks ago, here in Olsztyn, happened something that we should be proud of. The first mural in our town is finally finished! A mural is a piece of artwork painted on a wall, ceiling, or other large permanent surface. This one in Olsztyn presents the most recognizable objects in our town, such as the townhall or the castle. I think it's a great way to promote the city. If more actions like that would start to happen, the town would become more attractive to visitors. Also young people would have a chance to prove their talents in public as Bartosz Świątecki and his crew did (they are authors of the mural). Someone may disagree but I think it's a great piece of art! I'm sure that murals are more popular in Barcelona or Istambul or other cities, but Olsztyn is not a very big and attractive one so things like that are quite unusual ;) Here's a link to the artist's blog if you would like to see more of his works ;) --> click!

3 comments:

Pilar Pérez said...

I agree with you that some areas or streets in big cities, also in Barcelona, are very ugly and they need some sort of art to make them look more attractive. The one you show is very beautiful, but we must be careful because some murals or graffitties are not art at all and they make the city look dirty.
I think there should be some sort of control over that.

Mònica Villanueva Benet said...

I agree with Pilar, but I must admit I love murals. I think they make the city more colourful and they're a fantastic way to express all sort of ideas, from personal feelings to political views.
Congratulations on this one. Looks very nice!

Marcin Szmyt said...

Agata thanks for this post and the picture. I live in Olsztyn but I somehow missed it walking in the city centre. Thanks to your presentation I will definitely go and see this piece of art. Thank you.