Saturday 20 March 2010

Ski jumping

Sport I like the most is ski jumping. Why I like ski jumping? Because it is interesting, exciting, unpredictable and watching it makes me happy.

I started watching and enjoying it when I was at primary school, about 8 years ago. There were many people and my friends crazy about ski jumping (I think because of our Polish ski jumper - Adam Małysz who always won), so I also watched it. Firstly I was cheering on Adam Małysz and our Polish team. I was small so I didn’t exactly know the rules, names of ski jumpers and coaches, but I liked it very much. While I was watching, I was learning new things about ski jumping. Now I still watch ski jumping and I think I know something about it. I like our Polish ski jumpers – Adam Małysz and Kamil Stoch, but I also like Austria team very much.

Adam Małysz

Now I’m going to tell you something about it. Ski jumping is a sport in which skiers go down a take-off ramp, jump, and land the furthest on the hill below. Also judges give points for style. The best is who receives the most points and jumps the furthest. I think ski jumping isn’t very fair sport. Because of the weather conditions like wind, snow. But it make ski jumping so special. Till the end nobody know what will happen. It is a winter sport, performed on snow, but can also be performed in summer, but there must be special conditions. There are a few ski jumping competitions, but the most popular is World Cup. It is also part of the Winter Olympic Games. Ski jumpers are mainly men, but women also can be ski jumpers and take part in competitions for women. Ski jumpers mainly are from Austria, Norway, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Japan, Poland and Switzerland and there are hills and competitions take place. The World Cup and Summer Grand Prix take place also in Poland in Zakopane. The atmosphere is great, I heard. One of my dreams is to visit Zakopane and see competition in the flesh.

Zakopane, Poland

And you? Have you ever heard about ski jumping? Do you like it? I think our Norwegian friends could tell us something about it ;) I hope now you know what is ski jumping and you would watch or read about it in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to watch ski jumping competitions. I always cheer Poles and Adam Małysz.
I think that Adam Małysz is a great sportsmen and i hope that he for a long time will represent Poland.

Dawid said...

Great topic.In Poland Adam is one of the most famaus people